The Festival of Olympus has been established here for 30 years now, and is the summit of the year's cultural activities. It embraces Pieria, Macedonia and Thessalia and has the widest range of cultural activities in the Balkans.
The programme includes productions of plays from the Ancient and Modern Greek and Foreign repertoire, ballet, classical and folk concerts, as well as talks on the archaeological significance of the area.
The performances take place in the ANCIENT THEATRE OF DION and the CASTLE OF PLATAMON during the months of JULY, AUGUST and SEPTEMBER and attract audiences in excess of 40,000 each year.
Well known theatre companies, such as The National Theatre Company, The Northern Greek State Theatre, The Theatre Company "Karolos Koun", the Theatre Company "Jenny Karezi" etc, as well as many Municipal Theatre companies and fringe groups from all over Greece and beyond.
Many famous actors and actresses such as Melina Merkouri, Jenny Karezi, Manos Katrakis, Anna Sinodinou and others have performed here.
Performances in the festival have included:
- Musical Recitals by Dimitris Sgouros, Leonidas Kavakos, George Demertzis, and others.
- Classical Music Concerts by the London Symphony Orchestra, the Belgrade Symphony Orchestra, The State Orchestra of Thessaloniki, The Athens Chamber Orchestra, etc.
- Opera Productions by the Chamber Opera Company of Bulgaria and the National Opera Company.
- Concerts from foreign artists such as Jazz Music by Jan Garbarek, The Dirty Dozen Bass Band, Sidney Bechet Junior, Arome Caribe.
- Music conserts by international artists such as Goran Bregovich and Milva.
- Concerts of Greek music by many well known artists such as Thanos Mikroutsikos, Giorgos Hatsinasios, Haris Alexiou, Elefteria Arvanitaki, Marinella, Giorgos Dallaras, Nikos Xilouris etc.
- Dance groups from Greece and all over the world such as The Bolshoi Ballet, the State Dance Company of Northern Greece, etc.
- Greek and Foreign Folk dance groups.
- During Greek Film Week the stage is given over entirely to productions of modern Greek films.
There is also a series of talks under the title "Archaeologists speak about Pieria" during which the distinguished archaeologist and teacher, Dimitris Pandermalis, talks about the civilisation and culture of Pieria.
All the information appertaining to the festival can be obtained from the Festival Office either in person or by post.
The Olympus Festival Organisation
TEL: 23510 76041, 45670 - 2
FAX: 23510 76042