⇠ Thessaloniki 61km
The capital city of Halkidiki is located in the center of the region. Polygyros was built on the southern slopes of Mt. Holomontas at an altitude of 550 meters. Its name is thought to have been inspired by the many twists and turns in the endless surrounding hills. Another explanation stems from “Poly-geros” or “very-strong”, a reference to the good climate but also possibly “Poly-ieros” or “very-holy”, because of a temple that used to exist in the area. There have been references to Polygyros since Byzantine times, and it is where the Halkidiki uprising started on May 17, 1821. Today, small hotels and guesthouses are available for an overnight stay while tavernas and quaint ouzo bars provide traditional local delicacies. Throughout the year Polygyros organizes various cultural events.
• The traditional web of narrow streets with their old houses. The scenic location of Exi Vrises is well-known, named after its six water taps. A restaurant and a coffee shop located here, are the ideal places to relax and grab a bite.
• The Archaeological Museum with findings from the entire Halkidiki (Olynthos, Potidea e.t.c.).
• The Folk life Museum at Karaganis Mansion.
• The Church of Metamorfosi (Transfiguration): Byzantine church with murals, built in an old prison property.
• Country church of Prophitis Elias (Prophet Elijah).
• The Church of St. Demetrios, built in 1871 at the site Bares.
• Church of Saint (Agios) Modestos with the icon of the saint that was painted in the 15th to 16th century by Monks from Mount Athos.
• Just 6km down the road that leads to Taxiarchis -situated above the general hospital- is the location known as Tsoukalas, which offers a panoramic view of the township.
• A short distance from Polygyros, in the area called Paleporta, was the ancient town Apollonia, southwest from where the city lies today. Here, the visitor can still see part of the castle walls foundations.
✓ can’t miss this!
The Carnival feast: 10 days of events that culminate with the parade of carvival floats on the last Sunday of the carnival period.
Taxiarchis is home to a branch of the Forestry Department of the University of Thessaloniki, due to its forest of Christmas trees.
More about Archaeological Museum (Polygyros)
The Museum has a fascinating collection of archaeological finds from all over Halkidiki. Exhibits include clay figurines and coins from Olynthos, vases from Toroni, parts of the roof of the temple of Zeus Ammon from Kallithea, reliquary chests, fisherman’s equipment, lamps, jewels and amphorae from Akanthos, now the town of Ierissos, and funerary steles and the statue of a woman from the 1st century BC, from the sanctuary of a deified hero, from Stratoni.
(More Info: T +30 23710 22148).
At the commercial centre of cosmopolitan Thessaloniki, one can find all international brand names and Greek haute couture boutiques. Elaborate gold jewellery is displayed in the windows of local jewellery shops, reflecting a craft that has been alive without interruption for thousands of years in Macedonia. Also, one can find excellent prices for furs and leather goods all year round. Get to know the Museums of the city, which cover the full range of history and art, and enjoy a stroll in the new city parks on the seafront promenade or the lanes of the old town. If the heat becomes unbearable, go for a dive at the nearby beaches around Thermaikos Gulf, which have all been awarded blue flags for their crystal clear waters. Don’t forget to try the tasty dishes offered at local fish taverns.
The capital of the prefecture (with 20.000 inhabitants) was just a small village during the Ottoman occupation. Back then the commercial center of the region was Avret Chisar (todays Ginekokastro) where the big bazaar was taking place. By the end of 17th century, the bazaar was transferred to Kilkis and the small village began to flourish. After the victorious battle of Kilkis in June 1913, the Turkish governors set fire to the city and very few old buildings were saved from it. Kilkis is located 560 km N of Athens and 50km N of Thessalonica.
One of the most beautiful cities of Macedonia which is built in the Eastern fringes of the imposing mountainous volume of Vermion and has an astonishing view in the beautiful and rich plain of Thessaloniki. It is the capital of the homonym province with a population of 25.000 residents and combines the beauties of plain with those of mountain, offering a rich mesh of activities and services in the lucky visitor. It abstains 90 km from Thessaloniki and 510 from Athens.
The architectural heritage in urban and industrial buildings elects a city with rich cultural past. The visitor has the possibility to enjoy the traditional neighbourhoods and sights in Naoussa and can begin from the Municipal Park that is found near the entry of the city which has an astonishing view in the plain of Imathia up to Thessaloniki and Thermaiko. A path from the paved pedestrian zone in the verdurous banks of the river Arapitsa with the impetuous waters and the impressive waterfalls, leads to "Stoumpanous" a place of sacrifice of Naoussa's women.
Built on the foot of Vermio and crossed by Tripotamo river, Veria was the second most important city during the years of development of ancient Macedonians. It was the second most important city after Aeges, while it continued to be a flourishing and strong city even during the Byzantine period (it was the third most important city of the Empire after Constantinople and Thessaloniki). Because of the many Byzantine monuments (nowadays more than 50 Byzantine and post Byzantine churches are preserved) it was also called “Mikri Ierousalim” (“Small Jerusalem”). Today it is a modern city, which still preserves its historic neighbourhoods and many remarkable monuments. Veria is located 510km BW of Athens and 68km W of Thessaloniki.